Tenant protection

Tenant protection

Our Service

Department for Tenant Protection

Is your building going to be completely modernised? Will the rents in your building be increased significantly? Are you afraid of having to leave your flat? Would you like to take action together with your immediate neighbours?
Let the Department for Tenant Protection (“Stabsstelle Mieterschutz”) advise you!

Competent Authority

Adickesallee 67-69
60322 Frankfurt am Main

All topics at a glance

Service description

The Department for Tenant Protection advises tenant communities. Your landlord wants to increase your rent and you cannot afford to pay the new rent? This can happen, for example, if your house is being modernised. Talk to your neighbourhood and arrange a counselling session together. The Department for Tenant Protection will advise you on the legal framework.

The Department also informs Frankfurt's citizens – for example through leaflets and events. It provides support in organising communities of tenants within a building. In addition, the Department also mediates between tenants and landlords.

Some districts in Frankfurt are specially protected as so-called "Milieuschutzgebiete” (social environment protection areas). In these areas, landlords have to comply with certain regulations when they modernise properties. Luxurious modernisations are not permitted in these areas. In these districts, special conditions also apply when houses are sold, including when rented flats in a building are no longer rented, but sold individually. In this case, it could happen that you as a tenant would have to move out after a certain period of time. The team at the Department of Tenant Protection also offers advice on this issue.

Required documents

When you make an appointment, the staff at the Department for Tenant Protection will discuss the procedure with you. They will tell you which documents you should bring to the appointment. Usually, these are the tenancy agreement or letters announcing a rent increase or modernisation. Collect all the documents that the landlord sends to you. The Department of Tenant Protection will look at the documents together with you.

Make an appointment and come to the Housing Office (“Amt für Wohnungswesen”) for a personal consultation. You can also make a telephone appointment or send your questions to the Department of Tenant Protection by email. For larger housing communities, the Department for Tenant Protection also offers on-site appointments or video conferences.