Registration of residence

Registration of residence

Our service

Registration of residence

If you move into a place of residence in Frankfurt am Main, you must always register in person after moving in.

See below for detailed information.


Citizens' Office

Please contact a Citizens' OfficeInternal Link ("Bürgeramt") in Frankfurt, regardless of where you live in Frankfurt am Main.

Click here to make an appointment online.Internal Link

All topics at a glance

Service description

If you move into a place of residence in Frankfurt am Main, you must always register in person after moving in. Alternatively, you can be represented by a person of your choice. In this case you need a written power of attorney authorising the registration in addition to the documents listed below. As an exception to this rule, you can give the authorised representative a Registration form (pdf , 638KB)Download Link (German only) which you have filled in and signed beforehand.


We explicitly indicate that, under certain circumstances, a visit in person to the Citizens’ Office may still be necessary.


If you are moving to Germany from abroad, please note that in addition to stating your country of residence, you must also state your last domestic address if you already had a registered address in Germany in the past.



Required documents

  • Identification documents of all persons to be registered

    German citizens
    • Identification card, passport or child passport
    • For children up to the age of 16, the birth certificate if no identification document is yet available.
    • The new place of residence is entered in the passport and the child passport. The address is changed on the identity card.
    EU citizens (incl. Switzerland and Lichtenstein)
    • Identification card or passport and – if available – eID cardInternal Link. The address is changed on the chip of the eID card.
    Non-citizens of the EU
    • Passport or passport replacement papers and – if available – electronic residence title (eAT). The address is changed on the eAT.


In individual cases, it may be necessary to submit further documents:

  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Divorce or annulment decree
  • Death certificate of the former spouse or partner
  • With children: Birth certificate, proof of custody
  • For persons in care: Supervisor's identity card

All documents must be submitted in their original form. In individual cases, further documents may be requested retroactively.


In the case of foreign documents, a translation by an interpreter or translator who is authorised to work with German courts and the authorities is generally required.


Registration procedures are free of charge.


You must register within two weeks of moving in.

What else should I know

Information on the General Data Protection Regulation can be found in the information sheet on the General Data Protection Regulation (pdf , 37KB)Download Link (German only).