Re-registration of residence

Re-registration of residence

Our service

Re-registration of residence

If you are moving within Frankfurt am Main, you are legally obliged to re-register your new residence after you move in.

See below for detailed information.


Citizens' Office

Please contact a Citizens' OfficeInternal Link ("Bürgeramt") in Frankfurt, regardless of where you live in Frankfurt am Main.

Click here to make an appointment online.Internal Link

Service description

If you are moving within Frankfurt am Main, you must register for your new residence after you move in.



If you move within Frankfurt am Main, you will usually have to register in person at a Citizens’ Office after you move in. You can also be represented by one person. This person needs either:

However, we would like to point out that a visit in person may be necessary under certain circumstances.

Required documents

  • Identification documents of all persons to be re-registered

    German citizens
    • Identification card, passport or child passport
    • For children up to the age of 16, the birth certificate if no identification document is yet available.
    • The address is changed on the identity card.
    EU citizens (incl. Switzerland and Lichtenstein)
    • Identification card or passport and – if available – eID cardInternal Link. The address is changed on the chip of the eID card.
    Non-citizens of the EU
    • Passport or passport replacement papers and – if available – electronic residence title (eAT). The address is changed on the eAT.


In individual cases, it may be necessary to submit further documents:

  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Divorce or annulment decree
  • Death certificate of the former spouse or partner
  • With children: Birth certificate, proof of custody
  • For persons in care: Supervisor's identity card


All documents must be submitted in their original form. In individual cases, further documents may be subsequently requested.

In the case of foreign documents, a translation by an interpreter or translator who is authorised to work with German courts and the authorities is generally required.


  • There are no fees for a re-registration.
  • The fee for changing a registration certificate part I (vehicle registration document) is € 10.80.


You must register within two weeks of moving in.

What else should I know?

  • Children and young people up to the age of 16 must be re-registered by the person in whose home the child or young person is moving. For further information on this, please see Registering, re-registering or deregistering minors up to the age of 16Internal Link.

  • When moving within Frankfurt, you can save yourself the trip to the vehicle registration office if you present the registration certificate part I (vehicle registration document) when you re-register. If a change with sticker has already been made in this certificate, further changes of address can only be made at the Motor Vehicle Registration Authority ("Zulassungsbehörde"). However, this procedure only applies to private individuals. Company vehicles can only be re-registered by contacting the Motor Vehicle Registration Authority.