Entry into the Country, Foreign National Affairs

Entry into the Country, Foreign National Affairs

Our service

Entry into the Country, Foreign Nationals' Affairs

The Foreigners' Registration Office (“Ausländerbehörde”) processes all applications for entry that are submitted by foreigners to the competent German embassies or consulate.

Competent Authority

Kleyerstraße 86
60326 Frankfurt am Main
Eingang: Rebstöcker Straße 4

***NEU*** Website der Ausländerbehörde

At topics at a glance

Service description

With regard to the requirement for obtaining a residence title, it applies that this must be obtained in the form of a visa from the competent German mission abroad prior to entry. 

This visa usually requires the approval of the Foreigners' Registration Office for the desired place of residence if the foreigner intends to stay in Germany for more than 3 months.

All applications in this area can only be submitted via the competent German diplomatic missions abroad. The official forms are also only available there. The forms under “Applications and forms” can be used for the residence purposes of intended gainful employment or intended study with submission of a declaration of commitment. 


This does not apply to:

  • EU nationals (Bulgaria, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Portugal,
    Romania, Greece, France, Ireland, Austria, Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland,Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Malta and Cyprus),
  • EFTA nationals (Switzerland),
  • EEA countries (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland),
  • Nationals of the USA, Canada, Israel, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and the Republic of Korea