Vehicle Transfer

Vehicle Transfer

Our service

Vehicle Transfer When Moving from Outside Frankfurt

A transfer from outside means that the used vehicle was previously registered outside of Frankfurt am Main. A transfer from outside can be carried out with or without a change of owner. See below for more information.

Competent Authority

Am Römerhof 19
60486 Frankfurt am Main
Hotline KfZ-Zulassung
Technische Angelegenheiten und Import KFZ
Technische Angelegenheiten und Import KFZ
KfZ-Zulassung allgemein
Fachbereich Versicherung
Technische Angelegenheiten und Import KFZ

All topics at a glance

Service description

Click here to transfer your vehicle onlineExternal Link (German only).

Information on the procedure and requirements can be found under information on web-based vehicle registrationExternal Link (German only).

Required documents

You will need the following documents:

  • Valid identity card or passport with current confirmation of registration (not older than 3 months) or electronic residence permit.
  • Vehicle registration certificate part I ("Fahrzeugschein")
  • Vehicle registration certificate part II ("Fahrzeugbrief")
  • If applicable, number plates (for registered vehicles and change of number plate)
  • Inspection report on the valid general inspection – if due in the meantime –
  • Confirmation of insurance in electronic form as eVB number (only for transfer with change of owner)
  • SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of vehicle tax (only in the case of transfer with change of owner)
  • For minors: Declaration of consent of the legal guardian(s) 

additionally, in case of power of attorney:

  • the power of attorney with the legible colour copy of the identity card of the person granting the power of attorney
  • the original identity document of the authorised person.

In the case of companies or associations, the following documents must also be submitted:

  • Complete trade register excerpt or the register of associations excerpt
  • Business registration or commercial lease agreement (in the case of associations, confirmation of address by the executive board or tax advisor)

Please note:

In the case of a transfer from outside Frankfurt, you can only keep the registration number if the vehicle has not been "deregistered".

In this case, it is not necessary to submit a SEPA direct debit mandate, the registration certificate part II and the insurance confirmation in electronic form (eVB), provided there is no change of owner.

If the confirmation of registration is not submitted, the registration data – Frankfurt am Main only – can be retrieved for a fee of € 10.00. 

You can only register your vehicle with the Frankfurt am Main registration authority if the owner's main place of residence under registration law is in Frankfurt am Main.