St. Leonhard’s Church

St. Leonhard’s Church

header image

Historical buildings

St. Leonhard’s Church

Innenstadt Leonhardskirche Außenansicht © Stadt Frankfurt am Main, Photo: Andreas Varnhorn

St. Leonhard’s Church (St. Leonhardskirche) is one of Frankfurt’s most valuable structures. The towers and parts of the western wall are Romanesque, and the 5-aisle hall church is Late Gothic. The high stained-glass window in the choir is among the most precious in Hesse. 

 

Year of construction: from 1219, from 1425, about 1515

Architect: M. Gerthener; H. Baltz

  • late Roman basilica from 1219 with twin towers over half-rounded apse and richly decorated north portals 
  •  overlaid with Late Gothic hall church from about 1425
  •  presumably according to a design by M. Gerthener
  •  with galleries, polygonal choir and external aisles
  •  to the Salvator chapel by H. Baltz, about 1515
  •  primarily Late Gothic furnishings in the remaining interior

 

Am Leonhardstor 25
60311 Frankfurt am Main