St. Catherine’s Church

St. Catherine’s Church

header image

Historical buildings

St Catherines Church

Die Katharinenkirche in der Innenstadt © Stadt Frankfurt am Main, Photo: Stefan Maurer

The baroque St. Catherine’s Church (St. Katharinenkirche) is located in the middle of the city centre, near the Main Guardhouse. Over the years, it has undergone various interior and exterior renovations, and was destroyed in 1944. The citizens of Frankfurt rebuilt their largest Protestant church in 1954. 

 

Year of construction: 1678-81

Architect: City Master Builder M. Heßler

 

  •  Gothic Revival single-vessel hall church with dominating side tower and baroque ornamental gateways
  • wooden arches in the interior and partly Gothic, outside baroque gravestones

 

 

An der Hauptwache 1
60313 Frankfurt am Main