Liebieghaus Sculpture Collection
The sculpture collection was opened in 1909 in the former “villa” of Heinrich Baron von Liebieg. Together with the two gallery buildings from 1909 and 1990, the villa accommodates exceptional objects from 5,000 years of cultural history – from antiquity, through the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, the Baroque and the Rococo up to Classicism.
The section for Egyptian and Graeco-Roman antiquities exhibits relief fragments and statues, including the famous “Frankfurt” Athena. It is the best-preserved Roman copy of the famous sculpture of the goddess Athena created by the renowned Greek sculpture Myron and displayed in the Acropolis. Works such as the “Crucifixion Altar of Rimini” and the “Holy Abbot” as well as works by Hans Multscher, Nicolaus Gerhaert von Leyden and Tilman Riemenschneider convey a living sense of medieval art. A highlight among the Renaissance sculptures is the “Belvedere Apollo” by the sculptor Antico. The art of the Baroque period is represented by works from Matthias Steinl and Franz Xaver Messerschmidt. The collection ends chronologically with the classicist works of Johann Heinrich von Dannecker and Bertel Thorvaldsen, among others. The East Asian Section includes exhibitions from China, Thailand, Cambodia and Indonesia from the 6th to the 16th century.
Since 13 March 2008, the Liebieghaus Sculpture Collection (Liebieghaus Skulpturensammlung) has been presenting itself in a new way. Through a novel colour and lighting concept, individual objects and groups of works in the exhibition halls are silhouetted precisely against red, blue, dark green and grey walls, which adds significantly to their incisiveness. Now the top floor of the villa, which has been preserved in its original condition, is accessible with its magnificent, historically accurate interior design. The atmospheric Studioli rooms convey a lively sense of collecting and research in the 19th century. A variety of guided tours and workshops are available for children, adolescents, families and adults.