Frankfurt’s history can be experienced even today through a large number of historical buildings. In addition to the city’s world-famous landmarks (Römer, Old Opera, Imperial Cathedral and St. Paul’s Church), other important buildings will be introduced here. They represent the city’s long tradition of commerce, culture and religion. These structures make it possible to understand the lively cooperation of spiritual life, commerce and politics over more than a thousand years of the city’s history in a clear and fascinating way.
The following links lead to articles that present prominent Frankfurt churches as well as public squares and buildings from industry and economics, politics and daily life.
The Old Nikolai Church belongs to the famous group on Frankfurt’s Römerberg. The double-aisle Early Gothic church was mentioned as early as 1264, but it is clearly older.
The Archaeological Garden is located on the Cathedral Hill between the cathedral, Schirn and the Technical Town Hall and forms Frankfurt’s nucleus.
In the 18th century, the baroque Main Guardhouse building was the location of the most important police station in the free city of Frankfurt.
The monumental structure of the Frankfurt Securities Exchange originates from the 19th century. The interior with its famous parquet floor was modernised in 2007.
The Carmelite Monastery of 1246 is located on Karmelitengasse. Today, the Institute for Municipal History is located here.
The baroque St. Catherine’s Church is located near the Main Guardhouse. Over the years, it has undergone various interior and exterior renovations, and was destroyed in 1944.
The 3-aisle Gothic hall church on Our Lady’s Square is very centrally located, and remains much the same is it was in the Middle Ages.
The Jewish Quarter, established in 1462 in front of Frankfurt’s city wall, existed until the 19th century.
St. Leonhard’s Church is one of Frankfurt’s most valuable structures. The towers and parts of the western wall are Romanesque, and the 5-aisle hall church is Late Gothic.
St. Justin’s Church is located in Höchst and is the oldest building in Frankfurt. Its 3-aisle basilica was constructed around 830.
The building came into existence in 1931 as the head office of IG Farben. It was one the largest and most modern buildings in Europe.
The gigantic office building by the architect Peter Behrens was inaugurated in 1924. The building became famous around the world as Hoechst AG’s company logo.